Bridget Elizabeth



You can tell so much about a person through their actions.  They don't need to have a vast vocabulary to show you who they truly are.  Bridget's smile and laugh are infectious. She is a friend to all, and can bring out the utmost kindness and patience in others. There's a reason they call Sanfilippo kids unicorns - they are rare and unique.

From the minute she entered this world, there was just something special about this little girl.  For one, the nurses couldn't believe her "highlighted" hair.  She had the THICKEST head of hair I had ever seen, come to find out, that is one of the first tell-tale signs of the syndrome.  Over time, Bridget managed to win over almost every single individual that she met - even if it took her 5+ years to warm up to some. :)

I have some mom-guilt that I sheltered her for so long. We missed out on many memories: going to school events, extracurricular activities, and TONS of play dates.  There were many reasons that I did this: my own self-conscious issues, the looks, the whispers, and even the questions that we did not know how to answer.  I used to be offended when I saw how the outside world viewed her.  Unfortunately, it took hearing the diagnosis to fully accept my own child.

I have always loved my daughter immensely.  I just wish that I could have seen before, what others that knew her saw.  This kind-hearted, pig-tail wearing, donut-loving, little angel.  This little lady that (someone I look up to said) "has never been tainted by the impurities of the world".  Imagine living a life with only joy in your heart.  That is the true definition of Bridget.

Her name means strength, and in my eyes, with all that she has endured and what's to come, she is the strongest little girl I have ever known.

Comments

  1. What a wonderfully well-written post. Bridget and your family are always in my prayers. Enjoy each second that you have with your sweet baby girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts