It Takes a Village

From a very young age I knew I loved children. It could be that I grew up surrounded by many educators, or the fact that I had such outstanding teachers of my own throughout my schooling.  Nevertheless, I knew my calling was to work with children as well as become a mom.   

I can recall preparing myself for the future by completing a babysitting course, spending HOURS of my life caring for my parent’s friends’ children (many of which are now in high school or college...yikes), and then moving forward with my studies to become an elementary school teacher. I  took the courses, seemed to have a knack with the students I worked with, and eventually got my first teaching job in my very own hometown. I will never forget working alongside one of my favorite teachers as I began my own teaching career. I am an educator myself, and I still don’t even think I can fathom the difference teachers get to make in a child’s life.

As the years went by, Michael and I settled into our lives as teachers (he followed his dream of coaching baseball as well).  One of the biggest attractions that I had to my husband, besides his eyes and wonderful smile (don’t say I never gave you a compliment), was that I knew he would be the best dad for our children.  And so, we decided to start a family. 

After a very tough loss, our sweet Bridget joined our family. The early years were great. We were hitting milestones and soaking in every minute as a family. Soon, however, the milestones tapered off. Knowledge that Bridget previously possessed vanished. We were educators. We didn’t see this coming. We scoured the internet, asked questions to those surrounding us, and even consulted doctors. Unfortunately we were told that there were no answers, Bridget was just Bridget, unique. We were told to accept her as she was and to just keep working with her.

It wasn’t until we got her into school that we truly saw the achievement and intellectual gap, because of course at this time we began isolating Bridget for fear of critiques. We were in a dark place at this time evaluating ourselves. “What now?” “Who else can we consult?” We even had anger toward Bridget because we were frustrated that “she knew these things before, what is wrong with her?!” Soon an IEP was in place. We had meetings, goals were put into place, and that’s when we were blessed with the abundant village that surrounds Bridget and lifts her up to this day.

We weren’t enough. I thought we were prepared. I thought I 100% had this parent thing in the bag. If I can teach 5th graders (that’s what I taught at that time), then I can surely figure out my own child...right? Unfortunately, some situations (probably more than I even know) require larger tribes. Bridget is blessed with the absolute best. I can even say this coming off of an IEP re-evaluation meeting, and if you are a fellow “special needs parent”, you know how overwhelming those can be. 

It would take me weeks to share everyone that has made a lasting impact on our daughter. From bus drivers, daycare workers, her one-on-one associate (loving referred to as Donald), family, friends, and her incredible teachers. YOU have made the difference. Michael and I couldn’t do this on our own, as much as we have tried over the years, with as many years that we have racked up working with children in education and sports, we need you, and we love you.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for demonstrating that there is so much good in this world. Thank you for your dedication. Thank you for your love and patience. 


Thank you for being a part of Bridget’s village.

Comments

Popular Posts